Monday, June 29, 2009

Unplug

Being an early baby boomer, I have grown up with the television or radio always being turned on. There was constant noise in the house. Not that we needed it, mind you. Three kids, lots and lots of neighborhood kids in the house. Even though we did eat at the kitchen table as a family, the TV was on in the background because Mom had to hear the news.

I can still remember standing at the opening between the living room and the kitchen watching TV while doing dishes during the commercials. It took a long time to get those dishes washed!

Even today I feel the need to have noise on in the house somewhere almost every waking moment of the day. And, yes, I find that sad.

Every morning the birds wake me with their singing. And what do I do? I turn over and turn the TV on to get the latest news even before I crawl out of bed.

This morning the first news item I heard was an interview of a Democratic aide about the passing of the House Bill on energy last Friday without the Reps having even read it. Heck, it was still being written while they were voting on it! To say I was angry is an understatement. And so I start the week off on a bummer. (Yes, it’s my own fault for pushing the on button.)

It is as though our legislators are spending money like drunken sailors (Sorry mariners for the association). And they don’t even know what they are spending it on these days. But it’s okay for them to throw our money around, it isn’t theirs. They know how not to pay taxes; just ask the Obama appointees.

If I sign a paper or contract without reading all the details and fine print, the court will not forgive me—Buyer Beware! But it is okay for our lawmakers to institute bills without doing the same? Oh yes, you’re right. We gave them a mandate in the last election to do just that—spend without looking. And what consequences do they face when it falls apart? Absolutely none. OH, RIGHT, anything they do is the best for all of us!

I consider this action by Congress to be gross negligence. They (Congress) want me to be more careful with my energy use. If I use less electricity or gasoline, the companies making the energy will pollute less because they don’t need to make so much. But they will also make less money, which I am sure they don’t want to do and won’t do. As it is, my electric provider is about to request a second increase in less than a year. They’re going to get theirs one way or another.

With this new legislation, here is how I am being affected: My thermostat (mobile home in Florida in June) is set at 85 day and night; I drive to town (groceries, stores for meds, church, etc.) two days a week; I no longer drive to work (no school, no substituting, no income); one light on in the house at a time and only for reading or sewing; I have purchased the energy saving light bulbs; I only wash and dry two loads of clothes a week; and my electric bill is to be doubled. All this I do (sacrifice) so somebody can start a new energy business. This is so there will be less air pollution. And I should be glad to do it.

Folks, when my glasses fog up when I’m trying to read the newspaper and when I am currently considering turning off my water heater to save on energy cost, I am not glad to do this. Nor am I happy with my government that is forcing me to take these measures.

Let’s see, how else can I cut my energy use? There is the television, I could stop watching it. And I could turn off my refrigerator. Fresh vegetables and fruits are better for me anyhow. I could turn off my computer and only use the one at the library. I only use my oven about once every two or three weeks as it is so that’s not a realistic option.

Do you think these adjustments would make them happy? Why don’t they make changes as well? Oh, forgive me, they’re too good to be inconvenienced with such trivial and uncomfortable conditions, but we aren’t.

No comments: